Language : 简体 繁體

Henry Capt Miniature Carriage Clock


Release date:2022-01-27
  • Share to:


Henry Capt Miniature Carriage Clock

Inventory Number: C2112005

Made circa 1900-1920 in Geneva, by Henry Capt, 45×30×75mm.Gilt brass vertical rectangular-shaped case with handle. The case is engraved with a sunburst pattern and garland-style motifs. White porcelain dial with Arabic numerals, Louis XV hands.

8-day going movement, signed “JTC”, bimetallic compensated balance, and lever escapement.

Functions: hours and minutes.

 

About Henry Capt

The house of Henry Capt was founded by the famed Henry-Daniel Capt (1773-1841) in Geneva in 1822 and flourished for many decades.

 

Henry-Daniel Capt (1773 - 1841), an independent watchmaker who specialized in watches with additional functions such as musical watches and automatons; was one of the first in Geneva to use the musical mechanism with pinned cylinder and tuned teeth comb and one of the first to introduce chronographs to Geneva. His automata are considered some of the best in the 18th and 19th centuries.

 

Born in Chenit in the Vallée de Joux in April 1773, he was the son of Jaques Samuel Capt and Susanne Piguet. On January 1, 1796, he married Henriette Piguet. Around 1789 Capt settled in Geneva and worked for several renowned companies such as Jaquet-Droz, Godet, Leschot, and his brother-in-law Isaac Daniel Piguet.

 

In 1802 he went into partnership with Daniel Isaac Piguet, which lasted until 1811. When this partnership ended, Capt kept producing his own pieces for some time before entering another partnership with Aubert et Fils in 1830. The firm was taken over by his son, Henry Capt, in 1844. A shop was opened on the Rue du Rhône in 1855 which became quickly famous. During the 1870s, the Henry Capt company advertised that they were the only Geneva watch manufacturer to have a branch retail house in London. Branches were also established in Paris, Nice, and New York.

 

The business was later continued by Charles Henry’s son Henry, producing high-quality watches until 1893, when he sold the firm to Louis Gallopin in Geneva, specializing in the manufacture of high-quality watches and Jewellery.

 




 
Views:303

GO TOP